Exercise can provide positive health and psychological benefits to help attack the blues including:
- Decreased Blood Pressure
- Increased weight loss
- Decreased abdominal fat
- Decreased insulin resistance
- Boosting Self Esteem
- Boosting Confidence
- Boosting your mood
2.) Limit Caffeine Consumption
- Drinking too much caffeine can leave you feeling down by the end of the day and may disrupt sleeping patterns.
- Try substituting caffeinated drinks with decaffeinated herbal teas, hot cider and decaffeinated coffee to stay warm during the winter months
3.) See the Light
- Sunlight may help to increase production of the mood enhancing neurotransmitter Serotonin
- Sunlight also helps increase Vitamin D concentration in the body which is required for the absorption of Calcium.
- Calcium is an essential to maintaining total body health and is necessary for maintaining bone strength.
- In addition, calcium is used during muscle contractions, blood clotting and maintenance of cell membranes.
4.) Maintain a Balanced Diet
Try to maximize consumption of the following foods:
- Low fat meats (chicken, fish and lean beef)
- Low fat dairy products (1% or skim milk, low fat yogurts)
- Whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat breads & pasta)
- Fruits (citrus fruits, dates, apples)
- Vegetables (Brussel sprouts, lettuce, turnips)
5.) Paint a rainbow on your plate
Be sure to eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables each day to maintain optimal nutrition
Paint your plate with these colourful fruits and vegetables;
- apples, cherries, tomatoes, beets,
- oranges, tangerines, squash, carrots
- bananas, lemons, corn, yellow potatoes
- limes, kiwi, collards, lettuce
- blueberries, plums, eggplant
- grapes, blackberries, purple cabbage
Laughter can help to decrease stress hormone levels and lighten mood if done often
7.) Limit alcohol consumption
Limit your alcohol consumption to no more than 1 alcoholic beverage for women and 2 for men.
Consuming amounts above this limit can have negative health implications and leave you feeling blue!
8.) Stay Hydrated
- Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water each day
- Drinking water helps to keep skin glowing and healthy
- Drinking water aids in the removal of toxins and waste from the body
TIP: Try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your water for increased flavour
Stretching daily will provide the following physical and psychological benefits to help beat the blues:
♥ Lengthen Muscles
♥Increased Mental and Physical Relaxation
♥Decreased Muscular Soreness after Exercise
10.) Catch some Z Z Z Z’s
Getting a good night’s sleep is nutrition for the brain!
Adequate sleep will result in:
- Increased concentration
- Better performance at work
- Increased immune function
- Increased energy
- Serve as a mood booster
So what are you waiting for – Join a gym now!
i-motion gym – No Joining Fee, open 24/7, over 100 classes for free and health club of the year in Yorkshire and Humberside!
Back to Blog