With Easter weekend upon us our thoughts often turn to gathering with friends and family and inevitably lots of nice food. But what about the gains you have made at the gym recently? Have you ‘earned’ a weekend of glutton or perhaps you are willing to undo the recent hard work. But maybe you don’t have to….
i-motion Gym have put together some tasty recipes for weekend favourites which might just help you to stay on track in terms of fitness goals AND enjoy some hearty, tasty weekend treats…..
Now you can enjoy the nations favourite, a good old curry at just under 300 calories a portion and really quick and easy to make. Think chunky chopped vegetables, protein full Turkey breasts and lots of flavour. This recipe can be made Gluten Free as well.
6 Long Green Chillies
4 Turkey Steaks
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
3 Medium ripe Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Caster Sugar
1 Tsp Himalayan Salt
2 Tbsp Low Fat Yogurt
1 Medium Onion (peeled and cut into wedges)
1 Green Pepeer (cut into 3cm chunks)
2 Large Tomatoes (quartered)
2 Tsp Cornflour (or 3 Tsp of Xantham Gum to be Gluten Free)
1 Tbsp Water (if using Cornflour)
- Depending on how hot you like your curry finely chop (hot) or split (mild) the Chillies. For a Medium curry you would split 3 and chop 3.
- Cut each Turkey breast into bite-sized chunks
- Heat over a high heat a Wok or Frying Pan with a tablespoon of Olive Oil. Add in Garlic, Chopped Chillies, Chopped Tomatoes, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Cumin, Sugar and Salt. Stir-fry until the vegetables soften but do not burn (about 3 minutes)
- Add the Turkey and whole, split chillies turning until sealed all over (3 minutes)
- Reduce the temperate to Medium and add 200ml of water and the Yoghurt and simmer for about 8 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by a third.
- In a separate frying pan heat the other tablespoon of Olive Oil to a high temperature and stir fry the Onion and Pepper for 3 minutes then add the tomatoes for a further 2 minutes. You are aiming for brown yet tender stir-fry vegetables.
- Mix a tablespoon of cornflour with a tablespoon of water to form a paste, when the Turkey is cooked through stir in this paste constantly until the curry thickens. If you would like to produce a Gluten Free version use Xantham Gum to thicken the sauce but add directly to the sauce.
- Once the sauce is thickened add the sti-fry vegetables and serve immediately, discard the whole chillies.
Steak and Mushroom Pie
What?! A Steak and Mushroom Pie on a Gym website. Yup, But coming in at 320 Calories this pie means you can enjoy a bit of home comfort this weekend without losing out on your gains in the gym this week. Not only that but its packed full of Protein!
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion (peeled and finely sliced)
700g of Lean Braising Steak Cubed (best to ask your butcher)
1 tbsp Cornflour (or Xantham Gum for Gluten Free)
2 Bay Leaves
275ml Good quality Beef Stock
150ml of Water
225g Closed Cup Mushrooms
2 x 22.5g of Filo Pastry
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
- Put a saucepan on a medium heat and heat the Olive Oil, add the Onion. Remove all the visible fat, if any, from the Steak and coat in the Cornflour.
- Put the Steak in the saucepan with the Bay Leaves and season. Brown on all sides (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the stock and the water until it covers the beef, raise the heat to high and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1½ hours. Allow to cool and discard the Bay Leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 220° C. Whilst the oven is heating quarter the mushrooms and place in a 1.2-1.5 litre pie dish. Add the beef and onions with a slotted spoon and then add 200 ml of the cooking liquid after removing any fat from the top.
- Lightly scrunch up the pastry onto the top of the pie ensuring I covers the dish and the meat is covered. Brush each sheet with egg and pinch to the side of the dish in several places. You should be left with two scrunched up pastry sheets on top of each other forming the lid.
- Bake for 20 minutes before lowering the heat to 180° C and cook for a further 20 minutes. Serve hot and with your choice of vegetables.
If you would like more calorie busting recipes from i-motion Gym then be sure to leave a comment below and we will include them as content for future blogs. Similarly if you have any great recipe ideas for your fellow gym buddies please share links below.
If you want help to create a diet plan or get some fitness advice you can always speak to a member of our team at iMotion. iMotion are proud to have over 90 classes a week, state of the art equipment and 24/7 access, why not let us help you to achieve your fitness goals http://www.i-motiongym.com/join to book on one. iMotion.Back to Blog