Sometimes we just need to hit the gym, do our thing and leave. To help us get the most out of this sort of workout, i-motion have put together 8 must do fat burning exercises, they will leave you feeling like you’ve absolutely smashed the gym and are guaranteed to bust some fat. In order to put the exercises in a circuit we are going to work with certain equipment around the gym in turn.
The Battle Rope is a great place to start. Building the momentum in the rope really targets the core muscle groups.
- First start with a standing squat position and a rope in each hand. Now alternate an up and down movement with each arm to send ‘waves’ down the rope. Aim for quite large waves that are of a consistent height. Be sure to keep the back flat and chest out sitting down into the squat.
- From this we are going to progress to do an underhand Power Jack. Here we are going to stand square on with our feet together and hands by your side, put a rope in each hand with the knuckles facing outward. Now perform a Jumping Jack or Star Jump using the rope for resistance.
The Jump Box provides a plyometric workout, box jumping should be tailored to you as an individual, be sure to set a height you are comfortable with and progress upwards with practice and muscle growth. Get ready for a full body workout.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and the Jump Box in front of you (just under ¾ arms length or as you feel comfortable). In one action squat down then extend your hips and thrust your legs using your arms for extra power to propel you to the top of the box. Land by bending your legs to absorb or cushion the impact hold your squat for a couple of seconds then stand up. Step down and go again!
- We are now going to repeat the same exercise but a lot closer to the box – the vertical jump is going to increase the effort of the core and leg muscles. With this exercise you must set the height where you feel comfortable – it is better to work up than go to high and injure yourself.
Slam Balls are a great way to get your aerobic capacity maxed out, super quick! They are also great fun and work lots of our key muscle groups.
- We are going to start with an “Overhead Slam” where the ball is in front of us between our legs that should be shoulder width apart. Squat down and pick the ball up. Stand keeping straight arms and a straight back and lift the ball over your head. Now push your hips backwards, fire your core down and slam the ball into the ground, you should finish in a squat position. Repeat.
- Next we are going to do a reverse lunge chest pass, here we stand with the ball at our chest and feet shoulder width apart, perform a reverse lunge and fire the ball to a wall or partner. It is great to receive the ball as this heightens the muscle workout.
Jump Rope / Skip Rope
It may seem a bit old school (think Rocky 1) but the skip rope is still one of the best ways to burn fat fast.
- Stand with a Jump/Skip rope behind your back and one end in each hand. Start Jumping as your propel the rope over your head. It may take some getting used to but its worth finding your rhythm with this and aiming to do a 2 minute set at least.
- When you have finished skipping lie the Jump Rope down on the floor in a straight line. Squat on one side of it with hand together and arms out in front, then jump sideways so that both feet clear the rope landing in the Squat position on the other side. Now repeat, jumping back from where you came, repeat for one minute or as long as you can.
iMotion are proud to have excellent functional fitness facilities, weights and over 200 classes per month and if you want to try something a bit different why not visit www.i-motiongym.com/classes to book on one. Remember a habit is just a learnt behavior, they can be positive or negative, good luck in developing these positive gym habits! iMotion.
Back to Blog